Skip to content
Friends of the Willis Museum Logo

A registered charity that promotes, supports, assists and helps improve the Willis Museum in Basingstoke.


It is not possible to offer on-line access to the pre-2009 editions of The Willis News/Friends Newsletters, though copies can be viewed by prior arrangement in the Local Resources Room.

However, a selection of articles from pre-2013 Newsletters are available here.


The Massagainians

Bob Applin

The Mount, Silchester

Bill Fergie

Basingstoke in 1880

George Plummer

Historic Development of the Fairfields Conservation Area

Derek Anthony

A guided tour of Winchester College

Alan Roach

Joice’s Yard

John Hollands

The story of Hackwood Park

Brian Spicer

In the Year 1843

Barbara Applin

Early memories of the Town Hall

Mary Felgate

Eli Lilly and Company come to Basingstoke

Derek Anthony

Fairfields School 1888-1988

Bill Fergie

Short but sweet: a royal visit in 1863

John Hollands

Extracts from the diary of George Woodman

George Woodman

Shops in early Basingstoke

Ann Hawker

A selection of Pre-2013 Newsletters

The Wootton St Lawrence Helmet

Ian Williams

The Winton House Story

Ken Smallbone

The murderer, the JP, and the man who electrocuted himself

Debbie Reavell

The Bounty – The Early Years

by Bob Clarke [and Annie Strong]

The Basingstoke Cottage Hospital in 1900

John Hollands

Store 107

Peter Buckland

Memories of Fairfield School

David Buckland

Meeting John Arlott

Derek Wren

Isaac Septimus Nullis and the Silchester villages

David Young

From the war time Basingstoke diary of Evelyn Bailey

Judy Melluish

“Whoa, mate, we’ve got a horse on the front!”

Colin Williams

“Huonville” and the Hopkins Family

Bob Applin